Dive into History
Time & Location
About the Event
The course will look in depth at the discipline of history. We will discuss how to design and implement a well-sequenced history curriculum. There will be a focus on how we can build children’s historical knowledge and understanding of substantive concepts, while providing meaningful opportunities for children to develop disciplinary concepts such evidence, causation, significance and interpretation.
Identity is a theme woven throughout our history curriculum and delegates will discuss whose story gets told, whose voices are amplified and the impact this has on children’s individual connection to history. Importantly, the course will reflect on the role history plays in children’s understanding of people and societies of the past, and how this relates to current world events and the challenges society faces today.
This course aims to develop subject knowledge in history, while also providing lots of practical ideas that delegates can implement in their own schools.
This course will include:
- What is a knowledge-rich history curriculum and why is knowledge important?
- How can we sequence the history curriculum to ensure children are making progress from lesson to lesson, unit to unit and year to year?
- What can we do to ensure that the knowledge we teach ‘sticks’?
- Why is it important to develop children’s understanding of substantive concepts (such as empire and democracy) and how can we do this?
- What can we do to help develop children’s understanding of chronology?
- How can we develop our children’s vocabularies and support them to speak and write like historians?
- What does a high-quality history lesson look like?
- How can we effectively assess in history and review the impact of our history curriculum?
This course is for curriculum leaders, history subject leaders and teachers and will reflect upon the role that history plays in the new Ofsted inspection framework.
This course is designed to be completed in one day.
Delegates will receive pre-recorded training videos that they can access in their own time a week before the course starts. On the course date, delegates will join a 2hr Zoom session where we will cover the rest of the course content and provide opportunities for reflections and discussions between subject leaders and teachers from other schools. It is essential that delegates have completed the pre-recorded training before the course date. Delegates will have access to the sessions for a week after the course date to review what they have learned.
- Dive into History£150£1500£0