Dive into Geography
Time & Location
About the Event
This online CPD course is designed for teachers, subject leaders and curriculum leaders to look closely at primary geography and find out how we can implement a well-sequenced, coherent geography curriculum. This course will guide discussions about conceptual geography knowledge of place, space and the environment and how these concepts manifest in contextual knowledge within the curriculum. Participants will reflect upon curriculum planning in geography and what progression looks like. Importantly, we will consider how the geography curriculum can develop awareness of important global geographical issues and support children’s understanding of the world around them.
We will consider questions such as;
· What do we teach in geography and why?
· How can we sequence the geography curriculum to ensure children are making progress from lesson to lesson, unit to unit and year to year?
· What can we do to ensure that the knowledge we teach ‘sticks’?
· How can we embed fieldwork in a meaningful way?
· What can we do to help develop children’s spatial sense?
· How can we develop vocabulary in geography and support writing at length?
· How can we effectively assess in geography and review the impact of our geography curriculum?
This course is for curriculum leaders, geography subject leaders and teachers and will reflect upon the role that geography plays in the new Ofsted inspection framework.
This course is designed to be completed in one day.
Delegates will receive pre-recorded training videos that they can access in their own time a week before the course starts. On the course date, delegates will join a 2hr Zoom session where we will cover the rest of the course content and provide opportunities for reflections and discussions between subject leaders and teachers from other schools. It is essential that delegates have completed the pre-recorded training before the course date. Delegates will have access to the sessions for a week after the course date to review what they have learned.
- Online Dive into Geography£150£1500£0