Dive into English
Time & Location
About the Event
Designed for teachers, subject leaders, and curriculum leaders, this CPD course examines the discipline of English. Utilising research and evidence, this course focuses on the importance of a well-sequenced, coherent, and inclusive English curriculum, which can both raise attainment, and enjoyment, in writing.
Through guiding discussions on how we can support all our children to make improvements in their writing, this course will provide teachers and leaders with the practical tools and strategic approaches that they need, in order to have a positive impact on writing within their own school. The course will consider ‘The Reader in the Writer’ and how to select a wide range of high-quality texts to entice and inspire even the most reluctant writers. Following two disruptive years of schooling, this course will outline ways in which to close the gaps in learning through deliberate practice, high grammar expectations and by utilising and applying knowledge from across the academic discipline.
We will consider questions such as:
- What texts do we teach in English and why?
- What is the purpose of writing?
- Why do we need good writing skills?
- How can we support all children to get better at writing? Or ‘How can we support all children to be more confident with writing?’
- How do we explicitly teach vocabulary and etymology?
- How can we sequence the English curriculum to ensure progress?
- How can we apply knowledge from across academic disciplines?
- How can we develop children’s writing through deliberate practice?
- How can we develop expert writers who can plan, compose, and review their own writing?
- How can we provide effective feedback through responsive teaching in English?
This course is for school leaders, English subject leaders and teachers and is suitable for schools following PKC English as well as any schools interested in our approach.
This course is designed to be completed in one day.
Delegates will receive pre-recorded training videos that they can access in their own time a week before the course starts. On the course date, delegates will join a 1.5hr Zoom session where we will cover the rest of the course content and provide opportunities for reflections and discussions between subject leaders and teachers from other schools.
It is essential that delegates have completed the pre-recorded training before the course date. Delegates will have access to the sessions for a week after the course date to review what they have learned.
- General Ticket£150£1500£0